Friday, September 30, 2011

Evolution of Man: Lipreading

According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Lip reading, also known as lipreading or speechreading, is a technique of understanding speech by visually interpreting the movements of the lips, face and tongue with information provided by the context, language, and any residual hearing.

And I believe human kind is starting to evolve and learn this unconsciously. Nowadays wherever I go, people around me including me would always have an earphone or a headset covering their ears, listening to music. Sometimes the volume is so high you can hear what they are listening too a foot away. And there are instances when I'm in a Jeepney (a means of public transportation here in the Philippines) where a couple would still be having a talk with earphones still plugged into their ears. School buddies having a conversation inside the Light Rail Transit with headsets on their ear while playing with their PSPs. What really surprise me is that they all can understand each other, I learned about lipreading in a movie that I watched back then that I cannot remember at this moment, curious and without nothing else better to do I tried to lip read during one of my 34 minute long journey to Recto inside the LRT while I was listening to my playlist. I was able to lipread some short and common words like "Uy!" (similar to Hey!) "Kamusta?" (How are you?) and "Gago!" (a tagalog curse) but that little experiment of mine got me thinking, lipreading could someday be something normal or innate among humankind, if people would continue to converse while an earphone is plugged into their ears. Well that's something to look forward too. So for those who would want to have this skill, charge up your iphones, wear your favorite earphone or headset, turn up the volume then talk to the person beside you!

No comments:

Post a Comment