Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Street Boys

Exams, Projects and Research Papers just to name a few things that keeps students busy at school. Sometimes I am so busy working on my school projects that I barely have time to eat a complete meal during lunch or early dinner. But thanks to a street just in front of my campus I squeeze in a quick snack time into my sometimes hectic schedule, the food - street foods! Inihaw na Dugo (grilled dried chicken blood) a.k.a "Betamax", deep fried Chicken Ball, "Kwek-Kwek" (flour covered hard boiled duck egg or quail egg) and Calamari are some of the student favorites. This street ,well known among college students along the university belt referred to it as "Hepa Lane". Hepa short for - (yep you guessed it) Hepatitis! Despite its scary alias students and office workers alike regularly visit the Hepa Lane during their brakes to enjoy their favorite snacks.

Several months ago I visited my campus to get my transcript of records and before going home I decided to eat at Hepa Lane simply because I missed it. And as expected Hepa Lane was filled with students chomping on their favorite street food, excitedly I wandered along the street until I reached my favorite stand. As soon as "Kuya" (the vendor ) saw me, he smiled and immediately offered me a plastic cup for my vinegar dip and a bamboo stick as my eating utensil, still hot from the pan I cant help but salivate as I thrust the bamboo stick into the calamari. As I chew on the calamari all I can think of is - Damn I miss college!

The Street Boys, pictured above was inspired by the foods found on Hepa Lane. I believe the original sketch was drawn back when I was still in my Junior years in college. From left to right - Beta Maxius, Bart Chicken and Mr. Kalamarez.

No comments:

Post a Comment